What are some of the reasons why homeowners don’t use a professional home stager?
- They think they can’t afford to hire a home stager. They may assume home stagers charge what designers charge and in most cases, its less. The cost of staging can accommodate many budgets from a simple consultation to full house staging bring in partial pieces or complete rooms.
- They think their homes are already beautifully decorated, either by themselves or professionally done so therefore, there is no need for a stager. The fact of the matter is that even decorated homes need staging for the mere fact that just as going into many model homes, many people are focused on the decorating and not necessarily the house.
- With decorating, the focus is on the “stuff” and with home staging the focus in actually on the house and the features it has. For more information and tips about staging, see: Why Home Staging Could Give You the Edge in the Property Market.
- They think buyers can just look past any imperfections and flaws. Today’s buyer is much more sophisticated as compared to in the past. With all the access to information on shows and DIY classes and the internet, buyers are just expecting more than in the past and if a seller isn’t willing to make changes, a buyer will quickly move to the next property that may be more move in ready.
- They never staged their home before, and it sold….so their thinking is it will again. And for the same reasons stated above, buyers are more sophisticated and are expecting more.
- They don’t want to put any more money into their home because they’re selling it.The ROI on the investment of home staging is to average a sales price that is 7-10% more than a non-staged home. Also, staged properties sell 50-80% faster than non-staged homes eliminating several potential months of carrying costs. This all factors into the cost of not staging a home and defeats the purpose of not putting money into their current home.
- If the house is vacant, a homeowner will think the space looks bigger. The truth is that a room will always look bigger with furniture in it, furniture to scale. It also gives a buyer a perspective of how their furniture will fit and look and how to arrange the space.